Parish Finance Committee Handbook

Download Files

This includes pdf handbook, resources (register of assets, expenses form) and FAQs


When is the monthly cut off for payroll and expenses?
All payroll and expenses forms must be received in Hove by the close of business on the 10th day of each month. Please email completed forms to:

How do I claim for mileage and other expenses?
Complete the Mileage and Expenses form and ensure it is signed off by the Parish Priest or diocesan officer who is expecting to receive it. Expenses can be paid via payroll for staff. Please click here for the expenses form and scan a signed off copy of this form If you are not a member of staff but are claiming expenses from the Diocese submit the form to Mileage can be claimed at 45p for the first 10,000 miles in each tax year, 25p per mile thereafter. Please keep a log of all mileage claimed, with the reason for your journey.

What level of spending by a Parish requires notification to the Diocese?
Any expenditure over £7,500 must be notified to the Diocesan Finance Office. Approval will be sought via the subcommittee to the Diocesan Finance Committee or referred to a meeting of the Diocesan Finance Committee.

When does the Diocesan Finance Committee meet?
The Committee meets eight times a year. Please email: if you would like the schedule.

How do we change signatories on a parish bank account?
All new signatories have to sign up to a new bank mandate, contact if you would like a new signatory form.

Can we have online banking for our parish?
Yes, please contact: to be added to the next training session as this is progressively rolled out.  A two-part authorisation is required, with the parish priest taking a key role in overseeing transactions.

Why do we have to use the Diocesan solicitor for school and parish lettings?
In civil law the parish does not have individual status so the entity undertaking all contracts is the Arundel and Brighton Diocesan Trust. The land is vested in the Arundel and Brighton Diocesan Corporation so it is also a party to all transactions relating to land and buildings. Only the Bishop and Trustees of the Diocese can sign on behalf of the Trust and Corporation and they retain the diocesan solicitor DMH Stallard to support them in their responsibilities to oversee the diocesan estate. To work with the solicitors on a parish letting please contact: